Grain Dealers Mutual Insurance Company

The Basics of Auto Insurance

Basic Covered Perils (or losses)

The following perils are covered on all Property and Casualty policies. Additional coverages may be added to a policy for an extra fee. Also, some policies already have additional coverages built into the policy. For all covered perils, check your policy.
  • Windstorm or Hail
  • Riot or Civil Commotion
  • Explosion
  • Lightning
  • Fire
  • Vehicles or Aircraft
  • Vandalism or Malicious Mischief (This does not cover theft)
  • Volcanic Action
  • Smoke
  • Sprinkler Leakage
  • Sinkhole Collapse
  • Falling Objects
  • Weight of Snow, Ice, or Sleet
  • Water Damage
Auto Policy Coverages

Part A - Liability
Part B - Medical Payments
Part C - Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists
Part D - Physical Damage (PD)

Part A - Liability (For the other person)

Split Liability Limits, i.e., 100/300/100
The first $100,000 = Bodily Injury per person in the other vehicle
The $300,000 = Total per accident for all people in the other vehicle
The second $100,000 = Property Damage per accident (For the other car or other property) 100/300/100 is just an example, you may have other split limits such as 25/50/10 or 250/500/250.

Part B - Medical Payments

This coverage is for the named insured, anyone in the vehicle, including family members, and pedestrians. $5,000 is an example of a Medical Payment amount. The amount helps pay for Medical and Funeral expenses as a result of the accident per person.

Part C - Uninsured & Underinsured Motorists

This covers others who are at fault but do not have coverage or enough coverage to make you whole due to the accident. Uninsured - Part A - Liability will give you the limits of this coverage but only for the Bodily Injury portion from your own policy, i.e., 100/300. In most cases, your Collision coverage will take care of your Property Damage. It is important to remember that Underinsured Motorists will cover you for the portion of coverage your own policy has that the other person's insurance lacks. For example, if your own policy limits are 100/300/100 and the person at fault is carrying liability limits of 25/50/10, your policy will cover you up to your own policy limits or an extra 75/250.

Coverage D - Damage to your Auto or Property Damage

This covers your car if the collision was your fault or for Comprehensive (other than collision, glass breakage, deer hits your car, etc.). A deductible is usual for both types of coverages. Two different deductibles can be selected.

Many other coverages may be added to your policy. The amount and types of coverage depend on your insurance carrier and the type of policy written for your automobile.